Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 6 Bolus Basal & Unit


Today is a happy day! My Scale Came! Not just any scale but the Tanita BC-554 Bodyscan monitor! This little jewel doesn't just tell me my bodyweight, it tells me how much of what I have and some other neat things. I jumped on for a test run as soon as I could get the batteries in and give it a test run. This is not my official base line as I want to do that in the morning but here is what I got Body Weight 174.2 (I was wearing all my cloths except my socks and had stuff in my pockets) Body Fat percentage 18.5% Water weight 55.1% Muscle 134lbs, physical rating 5 (out of 10 and I guess 10 is best) Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1862 calories, metabolic age 32 bone 7lbs viseral fat 9lbs. A lot of cool and some unhappy but not unexpected information. Tomorrow morning, I will take it for the official test run and start recording for real, since my LA fitness weigh ins have all been morning.

Kudos to the Competetive Edge for getting it out to me so quick, I wasn't supposed to see it until Friday. Going forward they should learn how to pack boxes to survive UPS. There was one little scrap of paper that was a waste and it is only by grace that my new bodyscan monitor arrived undamaged, no thanks to UPS or the shipping department at the Competetive Edge. Next time guys take that extra 5-10 seconds to FILL the shipping box with paper. The guys where I work would never let a package leave the building like that.... ok I'm done.

So I started my day with a lovely coconut water and pineapple smoothie that I chased with my vitamin protien shake (Reliv from here on) Note to self, drink the shake first and it won't taste as foul.

I have had a few problems in the night with low BG and I should explain briefly what I am going through as a T1 diabetic to do this cleanse and maintain a high enough Blood Glucose level. First of all for those of you who don't know my target range is between 80 and 180 (I won't bore you with what these numbers mean, just know that healthly non diabetic will run between 90 and 110 almost all the time, our bodies are amazing things when they are working the way they were designed to work) I like to be between 90 and 150 but am comfortable as long as I don't go below 70 or above 200 after that I start to feel ...... let's just say less than optimal.

I mentioned in a previous post that I am checking my BG 10+ times per day, but what I failed to mention is that I am talking a 24 hour day. My meter is on the night stand by my bed and I am to lazy an low (yes I am low at the moment, but my Pod is temperarily turned off and I have treated and expect to be ok in 20 minutes or so. But as I was saying I have to check a lot and that means even getting up a couple of times in the night to see where I am at with my BG (I have to get up to pee anyway as much liquid as I am consuming, but it would be much nicer to flop back into bed and not have to draw blood etc...) So last night I tested before bed time and was at 51 so I drank an apple juice (ruining my 12 hour fast) oh well, I had to do it to treat for that low. I also turned down my basal rate to 40% of normal so that I would not go low again in the night..... I went low again about 4 hours later and at that time just turned my pump down to 10% which worked out good and I woke up this morning at 101. (read about Basal, Bolus and Unit at the bottom)

Today was a bit of a trial for sticking with the plan and the dos and don'ts of the Cleanse. I went for my 5k run at lunch, check my BG before leaving (it was 135) ate a mandarin for good measure, was having a tremdously enjoyable run when the bottom fell out of my glucose and all that I had to treat with was a caffienated GU pack (expresso love flavor) I had 2 no nos in my book, with #1 being the caffiene and #2 the non-organic GU when I had honey packets sitting in my office that I forgot to bring with me.

It wasn't the best run ever, but I got through it and returned to my office to eat a Red Delicious apple and a yummy salad for lunch,Yum it was very satisfying.

I head home from work and give my lovely wife a call to tell her I am on my way and what's in the blender for tonight, only to find that she is out foraging for ingredients at the local Asian market, so we were a little late eating tonight but I have to say that she did good in her selection for tonights dinner. We had Miso, Carrot, Ginger, Mushroom and Kale soup. I was full when I finished eating it and it tasted great. So here I sit (I can am already feeling better than I was a couple of paragraphs ago) and the one thing that is hardest for me to believe about this cleanse is how much I am not hungry.

Almost 1 week in and I am certain that this 3 week portion of my life is going to affect sustainable change in the way I eat that I will most definitely reap positive health benefits from in the years to come.

And now as promised Bolus = taking insulin to cover carb intake, the equivalent of a shot Basal = my base insuling, the amount that is required to process the glycogen from my BMR Unit = for insulin purposes 1/100 of a CC There are 10CCs in a bottle and that is normaly a months supply for me.

OK Kids, I'm off to bed! Thanks for stopping by and if you have a moment why don't you follow my blog so that I can look good to people that want to see if I'm popular or not!

Michael










No comments:

Post a Comment