Monday, December 12, 2011

Days 3 & 4 Ninja Clean

OK so I have had a lot of people ask me, what are you eating on this diet.

First of all I would like to be clear,,,, this is not a diet, it is a detoxifying cleanse that is designed to be non-intrusive on your life. I have had people say a lot of things to me about what is wrong with what I am doing, without really knowing what this is about. So please allow me to reiterate. We live in a toxin filled world, we get toxins from the air we breath, the water we bath in and the food we eat, just to name a few sources.
The concept of this cleanse is to jump start our bodies natural ability to detoxify and to go forward and eliminate all of the toxins from our own personal environments that we reasonably can. The cleanse itself only lasts for 21 days, it is not about weight loss, but a clean diet is likely to allow your body to achieve homeostasis as far as our body weight goes, which is likely to result in weight loss for many of us.

All that said, here is what you do eat
Organic foods as much as possible
Fruits – whole fruits, frozen fruits as much raw as possible, fresh fruit juices (excluding Oranges, Grapefuits, Strawberries, Grapes and Bannanas) apparently some fruits interfere with the whole detox process
Nut Milks – Rice, coconut and almond milk – no dairy including milk, butter and cheese. Etc…
Gluten Free Grains and Starch – quinoa, brown rice, millet, buckwheat and amaranth. (no wheat, corn, barley, rye, couscous or oats)
Cold water fish, wild game, lean lamb, duck, chicken and turkey
Split peas, lentils and legumes (no soy products of any kind)
Nuts, Seeds and Nut Butters (excluding pistachios, macadamia, peanuts and peanut butter)
Alkaline Vegetables raw, steamed, roasted, sautéed and juiced ( no tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or potatos)
Oils – Olive oil, walnut oil, safflower oil, etc… (excluding butter, margarine, processed oils, peanut oil, mayonnaise, salad dressings and shortening)
Non-Caffienated drinks – pure water (distilled or reverse osmosis), herbal teas, yerba mate, seltzer or mineral water.
Sweeteners – Brown Rice syrup, agave nectar or stevia (no refined sugars or sweet n low type products ).

I think that is quite a list and many of you are by now likely surprised by all the things that are on the list of things I can eat. Ok so now that this is put to bed time to talk more about me.

I discovered this morning that my Iphone alarm application has a setting that does not give you an alarm at the specified time, so I overslept, missed my bootcamp, only had time for an hour workout on the recumbent bike at home, discovered that the blender I set on fire last night trying to blend to much raw squash was not coming back from the dead and as a result, no blog this morning, so I am going to change my posts to evening until something catastrophic happens on this end so that I have to go back to mornings.

So Sunday, I left you with “I’m off to a spin class.” I did the class and it was amazing what happened. I sipped my sports drink the whole time of the 45 minute class, to the tune of a full liter 17 carbs, I had left the house with a BG (from now on read Blood Glucose) of 94 took in 60 carbs in the form of a Reliv vitamin shake that I generally supplement with twice per day and that normally requires 3 units of insulin, worked out intensely for 45 minutes and my BG was 95. If only I could always have my BG at 95,,,,, but then I wouldn’t be diabetic if that were the case now would I?
I came home and enjoyed a lovely blueberry cocoa smoothie and worked around the house until time for lunch we met Melissa’s family for lunch at the Spaghetti Factory downtown. I had chopped romaine with avocado and basalmic dressing, endured the servers advice for what we should do on our cleanse, had a nice visit with Melissa’s family came home and had some chickpeas and Quinoa (which by the way is the only vegetable product known to man that actually contains all 8 essential amino acids making it a complete protein). More on that subject at another time along with the answer to the question that many of you are asking right now, “Michael, if you don’t eat meat, where are you going to get your protein?” Just laying this out as a teaser for a future episode to keep you coming back J
For dinner, we decided to duplicate the squash bisk from the night before, except we ran into a problem,,, the squash was bigger and rather than do the smart thing and dump it out when it was obviously straining our 10 year old $49 blender, I did the thing any power tool crazy man would do in this situation and I continued to blend even though a prodigious amount of smoke was coming off the motor. We had bisk and I didn’t have to dump it out and blend half at a time…. Actually I did. More on this in a minute.
So I went to bed early last night in anticipation of my boot camp this morning and you know what happened with that.
I turned my basal insulin down by 40% when I went to bed at 8:30 with a 119 BG but woke up 2 hours later with a 79 so I turned it down to almost nothing 10% of normal which is as low as my Omnipod will allow, apparently given how low my basal normally is any way.
This worked out great and I woke up this morning with a 96 at 6:15 to late for my boot camp. I wanted to be a little higher than that for the workout I had in mind and I wanted to make sure that I didn’t crash so I turned my pump completely off for 1 and a half hours and had a 121 when I was done. That worked out good, but next time I will turn it down to 10% instead and I think that will be better. I was kind of pressed for time to get to work, but I thought I would have time to put a quick smoothie together, that would have worked out good, except for the fact that I had truly killed the blender the night before and it wouldn’t budge this morning. So Melissa said that she would get a new one for me and tried to get me to spend $500 on our dream blender, I talked her down and we got a really nice commercial grade… should I say? Just read on.
So, I ran 5k at lunch, but it was a snails pace (31 minutes) I just wasn’t feeling it. But in spite of the slow pace it was nice to be out in the warm 40 degree weather! Came back and had a nice lunch of apples, mandarins,beans and Quinoa. Drank herbal tea and finished the day.
I headed home in anticipation of the new, yes you guessed it, a Ninja blender,, KKKEEEYAAHHH!

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/Ninja-NJ600-Professional-Blender.shtml
Melissa had blended up a wonderful dinner of cucumber mint soup and we ate it with great gusto.
Ok, I have to get to bed and get up for an early spin class in the morning (I will be sure to use the alarm that gives and alarm tonight)
See you tomorrow for Day 5!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment