Saturday, December 17, 2011

Days 7 - 9 (The last 3 Days)



OK so I haven't posted for a couple of days but things were crazy


I stopped by home on my way to a JDRF Ride committee meeting on Thursday evening after work and saw that Melissa's car was in the garage, so I walked into the house expecting to see her in the kitchen blending something yummy but instead the house was dark and cold with no sounds of industry in the kitchen.
I walked in the bedroom and Melissa was buried under the covers with a bowl of Vomit sitting on the floor next to her, she claimed she didn't feel well.... I would guess that is totally true.

Our order from http://GreenBeanDelivery.com/ was supposed to have arrived so I went back outside found the insulated containers, brought them inside, deposited them in the dining room and headed back out to my meeting at the Broad Ripple Brew Pub. The Brew Pub had absolutely nothing on their menu that I could have for dinner so I had a bottle of water and some herbal tea for dinner.

After the meeting I returned home to survey the damage. I realized it must have been bad when I tripped over Melissa's coat in the kitchen before I could get the lights on. The breakfast dishes were still in the sink and my containers from my lunch had to be washed, so I planned to do that and work on a speech that I had to do for at 6:45 in the morning. It was about this time that I discovered that the bowl in the bedroom was not the only place Melissa had left her lunch. The sink was splattered with puke and there was not a rubber glove to be found in the house. So I sucked it up and put baggies on my hands to clean up the kale laced puke that seemed to be everywhere. Melissa was thirsty (obviously needing some more ammo to vomit with) so I got her a glass of water and set about my gruesome task. The next thing I knew it was late and I was not feeling well, but I did not want to take a chance on sleeping in the same bed with Melissa and taking a chance on getting the plague, so I slept for a few hours on the couch and got up at 3am to work on my speech.

The hard thing for me in writing Toastmasters speeches is making them fit the manuals. I had a couple of false starts in 2 different manuals and decided that I would just rewrite one that I had done a couple of times already. By the way, did I mention that I was feeling sick myself about now (so much for the quarentine) I had a Reliv shake for breakfast because I had squandered all my time for making a smoothie and I wasn't feeling all that hungry any way.

Needless to say I had my own little miniplague, but I went to work because I was hoping to go for a bike ride today and I didn't want to take off the day before and then go to work on monday and have them find out that I rode 100 miles over the weekend. I didn't feel well enough anyway, so I did an hour and a half on the indoor bike this afternoon instead.

This morning I got up and made a most excellant coco and mixed berry smoothie. Melissa was still not feeling all that great but she managed to swallow a little. I then packed up and went to the Winter Farmer's Market where I stocked up on $20 worth of local produce and bought $10 worth of granola that I can't eat right now, because I am a sucker for kids selling stuff.

The lunch portions today were like American portions, way to much so I felt stuffed after lunch. But we had marinated kale salad with pine nuts and radishes, the best tabbouleh and hummus that I have ever had and yes we made it ourselves!

We ate lunch late, so we are eating dinner late tonight as well. Melissa is still a little under the weather, but I am back at full fighting strength. :)

So 9 days in and I am getting the hang of eating this way and managing my insulin dosage. To give you an idea of how this is going, here is a log of how this cleanse has affected the amount of insulin that I am using.

The week before I started the precleanse elimination phase I used between 32 and 42 units of insulin per day which is normal. During the elimination week my use dropped to between 28 and 33 units. During the first day of the cleanse I used 21.6 and since have dropped to between 16 to 11.8 units. So the results are looking good.

I have a ton of energy and am picking my activity level steadily as I am becoming comfortable with how to manage my insulin.

So that's it for today,

See you next time

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment